"Quotation" (with Act, scene, and section #)
Speaker: Name of character
- Who said it?
- What is happening / has just happened?
- Who is involved / who hears it?
- What did they just say - *in your own words*
- Why is this important to the characters’ development?
- How does express an idea about race? class? gender?
EX) “Well, what was you doing all that yelling for if I can’t even get in there yet? - Check coming today?” (I.1.34)
a. Speaker: Walter
b. Context: Walter speaks to Ruth on the morning before the check is coming
c. Summary: Walter asks Ruth why she is nagging him if he can’t even get into the bathroom yet, and then asks if his father’s life insurance check has come yet.
d. Analysis: This is the first time we meet Walter, and our first impression of him is that he is immature and materialistic. The first things he does in the morning is complain to his wife when she is trying to help him, and then ask about money.